Skip to main content

Neighbors of DuPage

City of Darien: Do I need a building permit?

The following information is provided to help guide the residential homeowner on various interior and exterior home remodeling projects. For more detailed information please contact the building department at 630-353-8115, email, or visit our website at

Always consult with the building department regarding local building setback requirements, and any items not addressed on this sheet. Please note that all contractors must be licensed with the City of Darien before beginning any work. Please contact the building department to determine if your contractor is licensed.

Permits required:

(Common examples)

• New dwelling structures

• Room additions

• Garages, attached and detached

• Alterations where structural elements are affected, i.e.: new openings in foundations, walls, ceilings, roofs, enlarged door and window openings.

• All new electrical & plumbing installations (in wall work)

• Fireplaces and solid fuel burning stoves

• New air conditioning units

• Generators

• Sheds

• Swimming pools—in ground and above ground

• Patios, including paver brick

• Decks and porches

• Fences

• Driveways—including paver brick

• New water service

• Sewer work in public right-of-way

• Concrete work over 100 sq. ft.

• Landscaping ponds

• Landscaping that alters the grade of the property

• Retaining walls

• Underground sprinkler systems

• Wheelchair lifts/elevators

Permits not required:

(Common examples)

• Normal repair and maintenance

• Roof replacement

• Replacement of deteriorated materials

• Siding, soffit & fascia

• Windows & doors – replacing with same size

• Superficial remodeling which does not affect structural elements, such as drywall and plaster work

• Replacing fixtures

• Exterior concrete flatwork under 100 sq feet, such as stoops and service walks

• Driveway overlay or sealcoating

• Simple landscaping that DOES NOT change the grading of the property

Residential Multi Family:

• Normal repair and maintenance

• Replacing fixtures

All other multifamily construction may require permits. Please check with the building department AND your homeowners association BEFORE beginning any construction. All multifamily construction requiring a permit also requires licensed contractors.