DIY Decor with Creative Containers
Dec 22, 2015 02:43AM
By Family Features
Containers come in all shapes and sizes with purposes ranging from helping organize your stuff to adding an extra element to your decor. These simple DIY projects make it easy to transform basic containers into pretty accent pieces that showcase your personal style.
Re-imagine plain glass jars by adding texture and color with a project created by the crafting experts at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Create a faux milk glass look and emulate the appearance of tree bark by simply using hot glue to make your design. Finish with paint to match the palette of the room where your vessels will be displayed and add some dried or fresh vegetation for an added organic touch.
Then spruce up boring terra cotta pots using decorative paints and tape to add trendy patterns and designs. The pots make a lovely addition to any room, or they’re perfect as hostess gifts or party favors.
Milk Glass Jar and Jug
Crafting time: 3-5 hours
Skill level: Some experience necessary
- Glass milk jug
- Rubbing alcohol
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 1/2-inch flat brush
- FolkArt Home Decor Chalk: White Adirondack
- Mod Podge Ultra Matte finish
- Wash jar and jug with mild soap and water. Dry and wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue.
- Create dots on Mason jar with hot glue. Work in sections to allow glue to harden. Apply lines of hot glue to milk jug, starting with a swirl in the middle to create a tree knot design. Create lines around knot to achieve a faux bois effect. Allow glue to harden.
- Paint over glue on both glass surfaces. Apply several coats if needed, allowing drying time between applications.
- Seal both pieces with a coat of Ultra Matte finish. Allow to dry before applying any additional coats.
Trendy Plant Pottery
Crafting time: Under 1 hour
Skill level: No experience necessary
- Decorative tapes
- Paint of choice
- Teresa Collins rub-on metallic letters
- Decorate clay pots with paint and decorative tapes. Allow to dry. Use rub-on letters to personalize pottery with a trendy aesthetic. Add plants.
Find more ways to get creative with the containers in your home at joann.com.