Community Trees display now open at Cantigny Park
Nov 30, 2015 09:42AM
By Neighbors Magazines
The Robert R. McCormick Museum at Cantigny Park invites visitors to a special holiday attraction honoring Colonel McCormick’s philanthropic legacy. Beginning Wednesday, Nov. 25, the McCormick Museum will feature seven “Community Trees,” each decorated for Christmas by a different local nonprofit organization. The area charities were invited to participate because their missions involve issues or causes that were important to Robert McCormick during his career and life at Cantigny.
Each participating organization receives a $2,500 grant from the Robert R. McCormick Foundation. They also collect 100% of donations made by museum visitors, who are encouraged to vote for their favorite tree. The agency whose tree gathers the most votes receives an additional $2,500. The Foundation commits $20,000 annually to the program.
The chosen agencies recall Colonel McCormick’s passion for community service. Tree decorators in 2015 are:
· Friends of Wheaton Public Library, Wheaton
· DuPage County Historical Museum Association, Wheaton
· Illinois Prairie Path Corporation, Wheaton
- The GardenWorks Project, St. Charles
- Operation Care Package, Joliet
- DuPage Convalescent Center Foundation, Wheaton
- Ray Graham Association, Lisle The trees creatively decorated by these seven organizations will be positioned throughout the McCormick Museum. For the sixth consecutive year, Phillip’s Flowers & Gifts will design and decorate the grand 18-foot-tall tree in Freedom Hall, Colonel McCormick’s historic library.
McCormick Museum hours in November and December are 10am-4pm, Tuesday-Sunday, with visits by free guided tour. In addition, the museum will host a special Open House during Cantigny’s Celebrate the Season Holiday Festival on Sat., December 5 from 5-7pm.
The museum is closed on Mondays, and closed Nov. 26 & 27 and Dec. 24 & 25. The Community Trees exhibit will end on Dec. 30, the museum’s final day of 2015 operations.
Parking at Cantigny is $5 per vehicle (free for members). Cantigny.org.