October is Fire Prevention Month
Oct 14, 2015 09:56AM
● By Neighbors Magazines
Thanks to the Sweet & Savory Spot for hosting the recent Coffee with the Mayor and Chat with the Chiefs event.
The Westmont Fire Department offers the following safety tips to make your Fall an enjoyable and SAFE time of year. October is Fire Prevention Month. Be sure to discuss fire safety with the entire family.
Smoke and Carbon Monoxide
• Replace batteries when you change the clocks to daylight savings.
• Test all devices with the changing of the seasons.
• Make sure all occupants know what to do if either of these devices activate.
Practice Exit Drills
• Make sure everyone in the house knows what do in the event of a fire.
• Establish an outside meeting place for when there is a fire.
• Practice exit drills. This is the only way to see if the plan works.
Teach children fire
• STAY-LOW-AND-GO—Crawling out of a smoke filled structure.
• GET-OUT-STAY-OUT—Once out of a house, never re-enter until told it is safe.
• STOP-DROP-AND-ROLL—What to do if your clothes catch on fire.