Taste of Tradition
Sep 21, 2015 04:24AM
By Family Features
(Family Features) When the crisp air and festive colors of fall arrive, it’s time to get out and enjoy the best the season has to offer.
From catching a hayride to diving into a pile of crunchy leaves, there are plenty of family activities that can build up a healthy appetite. Some of the tastiest dishes to serve the family at the end of a perfect day feature the warmth and comfort of fall flavors.
Few ingredients say fall like apples, and apple butter is an ideal ingredient for incorporating the rich, traditional flavor of apples and cinnamon into your favorite foods.
Add an extra special flavor to any recipe with Musselman’s Apple Butter. Since 1928, it has been made the old-fashioned way by long, slow simmering apples in kettles with sugar and spices. This classic Pennsylvania Dutch spread is a versatile ingredient just perfect to enhance your favorite family recipes from breakfast to side dishes and dinner to desserts.
For recipes featuring all your favorite fall flavors, or to download a free e-recipe book, visit www.musselmans.com.
Spiced Apple Cake with Orange Glaze
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Musselman’s Apple Butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.
- In large bowl cream sugar and softened butter, then add eggs and beat thoroughly. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Stir in apple butter.
- Pour into a greased 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan. Bake 55-65 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Make orange glaze by combining powdered sugar, orange juice and orange peel. Spoon glaze over warm cake.
Apple Butter Roast Chicken
- 1/2 cup Musselman’s Apple Butter
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 whole chicken (3-5 pounds)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line roasting pan with foil for easy clean-up.
- In small bowl mix together apple butter, chili powder, cumin, paprika and red pepper. (Adjust spice level to personal preference.)
- Gently pull skin away from flesh of bird. Scoop a little apple butter mixture in your hand and push it between skin and flesh. Lay skin back down and gently rub so apple butter mixture is coating as much of meat under skin as possible. Repeat with legs, thighs and breasts, trying not to tear skin. Place chicken breast-side down in prepared pan. Stuff 1 thyme sprig under each wing and remaining thyme and garlic cloves inside bird. Sprinkle outer skin with kosher salt.
- Bake 20 minutes per pound. Tent with foil after 40 minutes to prevent skin from getting too dark. Let chicken cool/rest for about 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.