Visit the past at the St. John's Church Cemetery tour
Aug 12, 2015 12:51PM
● By Neighbors Magazines
The Darien Historical Society and St. John Lutheran Church Trustees jointly sponsor a tour of the church’s cemetery on Sat., Sept. 19 from 1–3pm. In case of inclement weather, the event will be held the following Saturday on September 26. Twelve grave sites will be visited with first person narrators in period costume. Walk where early church members were laid to rest and learn about them, their families and their many contributions to the local community. St. John Lutheran Church Cemetery was established adjacent to Lace Church, the original sanctuary, in 1859 on three acres of prairie. The cemetery still contains original, untilled land and is a registered Illinois Natural Heritage Landmark. Nine Civil War veterans are buried in the cemetery along with many founding families of the area. This is a free event but donations are appreciated. Clarendon Hills Road and 67th Street. 630-969-7987, firstname.lastname@example.org. sjlcdarien.org.