Back to School Breakfast Ideas
Aug 03, 2015 04:52AM
● By Family Features
It’s the most wonderful time of the year – back to school. But getting kids excited for the day is not exactly easy when faced with a school day morning.
In order to get the energy up and keep it there, a good breakfast is essential. Break away from boring breakfasts with these tasty recipes. Nothing will bring your kids down the stairs faster than the smell of Brown Sugar Glazed Bacon in the morning. Add in a kick of Texas Pete and this sweet and salty bacon recipe is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Or take a breakfast trip south of the border. These Steak and Egg Soft Shell Tacos feature juicy skirt steak, potatoes and cheddar cheese, served up with fresh and flavorful Green Mountain Gringo salsa.
Steak and Egg Soft Shell Tacos
- 1 cup Green Mountain Gringo Medium or Mild Salsa
- 1 pound skirt steak
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced new potatoes, drained well
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 9 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Cook steak on grill or saute pan. If using grill, heat grill to high. If using saute pan, heat pan to medium-high heat.
- Season steak with salt and pepper. When pan or grill is hot, begin cooking steak, approx-imately 4-5 minutes on each side for medium temperature steak. When steak is cooked to your liking, remove from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- While steak is resting, place large saute pan on high heat and add 2-4 tablespoons olive oil followed by potatoes and pinch of salt and pepper. Begin frying until golden brown and crispy, approximately 3-5 minutes. Once potatoes are cooked, add beaten eggs and cook until scrambled. Turn off heat and add cheese.
- Slice steak thinly against grain of meat.
- Place flour tortillas in microwave 30 seconds or long enough to lightly warm them.
- Portion egg and potato mixture evenly between flour tortillas followed by sliced steak and approximately 1-2 tablespoons salsa and serve immediately.
Texas Pete Brown Sugar Glazed Bacon
- 1/3 cup Texas Pete original hot sauce
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar (for finishing)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lay bacon in even layer on parchment lined sheet tray. Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar and hot sauce together. Using pastry brush, brush thin even layer of mixture over top of bacon and bake 10 minutes. Remove tray from oven and brush bacon with glaze; flip bacon over and brush with glaze. Return tray to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Repeat every 10 minutes for one hour total, pouring off excess bacon fat as needed. Sprinkle top of bacon with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar before last 10 minutes of baking. Watch bacon carefully near the end of bake time as it will begin to brown quickly. Re-move tray from oven; let cool for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.