Get the Most Out of Summer Snacking
Jun 22, 2015 03:44AM
● By Family Features
(Family Features) Summer time is synonymous with outdoor fun and activities such as hiking, swimming, gardening and more. With so many opportunities to be active outdoors, it is important to have easy-to-pack snacks for the entire family.
Here are some tips to get the most out of your summer snacking:
- Prepare ahead of time. If you’ve got more plans than hours in the day, preparing food ahead of time can be a big time saver. On-the-go snack options like DOVE® Fruit mixed with granola are quick, simple and delicious. Taking a few minutes to prepare snacks before leaving the house leaves you more time to focus on enjoying the moment rather than tracking down a bite to eat when you start feeling hungry.
- Portability is the way to go. It’s the summer time; it’s important to get the most out of every day and not have to stop in the middle of the afternoon for a quick bite. Eating nachos or enjoying a slice of pizza in the car can be messy so bringing along portable, easy-to-pack snacks is the best way to ensure all items on your summer bucket list get crossed off.
- Smart storage. Once you’ve created delicious snacks for the family it’s important to store them appropriately so they stay fresh. It’s a shame to let food go to waste, especially when you’ve taken the time to prepare it. When packing snacks, think outside the plastic bag. Mason jars and other see-through containers make it easy to see which snacks are inside. Stackable containers and nesting bento box-style containers make the most of the space in your tote bag.
This recipe for Dark Chocolate Granola combines DOVE® Fruit, whole grains, and protein for a satisfying summer snack that is also incredibly simple to prepare and enjoy on the go. Give it a shot this summer and see for yourself. For more information about DOVE® Fruit and other delicious treats, visit DoveChocolate.com or Facebook.com/DoveChocolate.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Melissa Riker of The Happier Homemaker.
Dark Chocolate Granola
- 4 cups quick oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) real cranberries dipped in DOVE® dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) real blueberries dipped in DOVE® dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large mixing bowl combine oats, almonds, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl combine honey, maple syrup, oil, water and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour liquid mixture over oats and stir until oats and almonds are well coated.
- Spread granola in thin, even layer over two baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir granola and rotate pans top to bottom to ensure even cooking.
- Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow granola to completely cool. Mix in real cranberries and real blueberries dipped in DOVE® dark chocolate. Store in covered container.